What is Academic Advising?
Academic advising is an integral part of each student’s university experience. Every student is required to meet with an advisor each academic year and is encouraged to spend time with an advisor more frequently than that. Reviewing your academic program with your advisor each semester helps you keep you career at the college on track.
Advising is much more than simply a time to select courses for the next semester; it is an opportunity for you and your advisor to develop and evaluate the academic plans that will enable you to reach your academic goals. Achieving this mission requires a collaborative effort between students and advisors.
Explore The BSSW Program
Academic Advising Syllabus
The purpose of academic advising within the College of Social Work is to support, guide, and assist current and prospective undergraduate social work majors with admission and progression, academic planning, career exploration, licensure, and resource referrals both within and outside of the University community. The academic advising syllabus (PDF) provides a full overview of the purpose and process of academic advising.
Scheduling an Advising Appointment
To schedule an appointment with a social work advisor you should login to the Vol Academic Connect system through MyUTK. Simply log into your MyUTK and click on the Vol Academic Connect link located in the UTK Student Academic Resources section. In Vol Academic Connect, click on the Button at the top right-hand side that says “Schedule an Appointment”.
- If you are currently a social work major choose “Social Work Advising” and “Social Work Major Advising” in the next two drop-down boxes.
- If you are currently in a major outside of the Social Work and are interested in changing to a social work major choose “Change of Major to Social Work” and “To Social Work” in the next two drop-down boxes.
Prospective students (not enrolled at UT) – Please call the College of Social Work Office at (865) 974-3352. Depending on the time of year, we will schedule an information session and/or an individual advising appointment.
How to Prepare for an Advising Appointment
- Review the general education and/or VolCore curriculum requirements outlined in the undergraduate catalog
- Review the academic plan and BSSW curriculum guide posted on your Navigate profile
- Ensure you are on track to meet progression standards by reviewing your DARs (Degree Audit Report) and your uTrack status (if applicable)
- Make a list of courses you are interested in taking (e.g., General Education courses and electives)
- Prepare a list of questions and/or topics you would like to discuss with your advisor (e.g., study abroad, possible minors that complement a social work major, etc.)
- Follow through on steps discussed with your advisor as well as any action items listed on Vol Academic Connect.
BSSW Advising Staff
Office: 107 Henson Hall
Phone: (865) 974-5144
BSSW Honors Advisor
Office: 109 Henson Hall
Online BSSW Advisor
Office: Polk Avenue Building
BSSW Administrative Specialist
Office: 301 Henson Hall
Phone: (865) 974-5360